Dublin GAA: Vins crowned kings of Dublin football


St Vincent’s showed all their big-game experience in overcoming Castleknock in Saturday’s Dublin SFC final at Parnell Park.

The sides were level 0-7 each at half-time but Vincent’s had moved into a strong 0-11 to 0-7 lead by the 45th minute when their centre-back Ger Brennan was dismissed on a second yellow card offence.

Before the sending off Vincent’s had restart the second half impressively. Shane Carthy fired over five minutes into the half following excellent work by Tomás Quinn and Quinn followed up with three points, including two frees, the first from play following a superb pass from team captain Diarmuid Connolly.

Castleknock v St Vincent’s – Dublin County Senior Club Football Championship Final

Castleknock, appearing in their first senior final, profited initially after Brennan’s dismissal with two Des Carlos frees from close range closed the gap to just two points with 13 minutes remaining.

However, Enda Varley fisted a point after a long accurate ball from Diarmuid Connolly before Castleknock when close to goaling but after James Sherry had his shot blocked he fisted the rebound over the head of keeper Michael Savage but Cameron Diamond was back on the line to save and move the ball to safety.

From there to the finish Vincent’s showed all the experience to frustrate Castleknock in defence and move the ball to telling effect for scores.

In the 49th minute another long Connolly pass to Tomás Quinn had Castleknock on the back foot for Ruairí Trainor to split the posts.

Hard-working sub Joe Feeney clipped another point after being placed from a short Connolly free to make it 0-14 to 0-9.

Castleknock v St Vincent’s – Dublin County Senior Club Football Championship Final

While Carlos tagged on a free, following a foul on John Kindlon, it was a goal they needed at that stage with a Varley free three minutes from time concluding the scoring.

In the opening half Vincent’s settled quicker with points form Varley, Quinn, following a good Shane Carthy run, and Varley again to move 0-3 to 0-0 clear by the 11th minute.

Ciarán Kilkenny opened Casteknock’s account with a fine angled point in the 13th minute before Gavin Burke replied with an excellent point after a trademark driving run.

It was mostly nip-and-tuck to the break with two Carlos frees late in the half making it 0-7 each by half-time.

SCORERS – St Vincent’s: T Quinn 0-5 (0-2f), E Varley 0-4 (0-1f), G Burke 0-2, Cormac Diamond, S Carthy, R Trainor, J Feeney 0-1 each.Castleknock: D Carlos 0-5 (0-5f), C Kilkenny, K Kindlon 0-2 each, E O’Brien 0-1.

ST VINCENT’S: M Savage; M Concarr, J Curley, C Wilson; B Egan, G Brennan, Cameron Diamond; D Murphy, S Carthy; G Burke, D Connolly, Cormac Diamond; R Trainor, E Varley, T Quinn Subs: A Martin for Murphy (33), J Feeney for Cormac Diamond (42), A Baxter for Varley (60).

CASTLEKNOCK: M Connolly; P Bourke, P Sherry, E O’Brien; G Hannigan, T Shiels, T Quinn; C Kilkenny, S Boland; D Carlos, B Galvin, K Kindlon; M Galvin, J Sherry, C Lynch Subs: M Griffin for M Galvin (42), J Kindlon for Lynch (53), M Brady for B Galvin (56).

REF: D Sheppard (Round Tower, Lusk).


Add To FacebookShare On Twitter